Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Suit - Immodest Collection volume 2 sample excerpt

I've been giving a lot of love to the second story of the Immodest Collection and you've all seen the cover which comes from the first story. But I have not given much attention to The Suit, which was my nod to superhero comics. Typically we're supposed to look up to the superhero and they are often written to be perfect, physically and interpersonally. We are not supposed to question their values or behavior because, they are the hero. This inflexible mental "armor" gave me a great idea for an embarrassed nude female story. Enjoy a brief excerpt from The Suit and then check out the Immodest Collection Volume 2: Stories of Exposure and Shame on Amazon and Smashwords



The crackled sound of radio static interrupts my sleep and causes me to slam my hand on my snooze button. Through one open eye, I see it’s not my alarm clock going off. It’s my police scanner.
"...all units, report to the Bank of the Nation off Michigan Avenue. Shots have been fired. Eye witness accounts say it’s the Engineer."
"Shit." I whip my sheets off and roll out of bed, slapping my face to wake up.
"Remember, the Engineer will be armed and is extremely dangerous, do not engage..."
I scramble to pack my suit, I don’t need to listen to the rest, I remember. It was at the Natural History Museum, the Engineer tried stealing the tomb to a 14th century warlord. He booby trapped the place with motion sensor-activated automatic rifles. The memory of the dumbstruck look on his face when he saw bullets bouncing off my suit makes me smile. That and remembering the cracking sound of his ribs when my gauntlet connected with his chest. His frail body flew back several feet and landed ass-first into a garbage can. The memory brings back the fuzzy sensation all the way down to my toes.
The Engineer escaped six months later. Prison guards reported hearing him rant about “that butch bitch who needed armor to compensate for her inferior strength.” The word “butch” makes me laugh because it’s so different from my actual appearance. I wear makeup in public, I go to the salon to straighten my long black hair, and I have a closet full of tube top dresses that I adore because of the way they hug my tiny frame. That’s why I love being Riot, because I can beat up a dangerous criminal like the Engineer and I can be feminine the day after. It’s a shame I can’t reveal that to him but he can hold onto his “butch fantasy” all he wants.
The Bank of the Nation covers half of a block in downtown Detroit. I know a few spots that are safe to park my van two blocks away behind an abandoned factory. I slip into the back of the van and change into the Riot suit. Once I put my helmet on I leap out of the van. My steel boots slam into the ground and I slowly make my way towards the bank, each step feels like a sledgehammer slamming into the pavement. The air is humid, I’m already sweating in my suit but it’s a price I’m willing to pay to feel nothing.
I take a shortcut through the alley and step onto the sidewalk. The sound of my steps draws attention from the crowd grouped behind the barricade. They hold their phones up for pictures. I wave before I see an officer in uniform run up to me.
"We were wondering if you'd show up. Riot-er Ms. Riot-Mrs?” He looks young. The lack of facial hair gives him a babyface, a cute babyface with freckles. His body on the other hand reminds me of a football player with his wide shoulders and tight forearms. My boots me so much he has to look up to maintain eye contact. I try not to smile too much.
"Riot is fine. Any hostages?" I ask in a graveled tone of voice by straining my throat.
Officer Babyface shakes his head, "They all came out with their hands on their heads. Said that the Engineer killed two guards. We think he’s in the vault. The captain told us all to stand by but I guess you don’t have to worry about any danger.” He stops to scratch his head as he examines my suit. “I sure wouldn’t want to be him. What is it made of?” 
His eyes are level with my chest and I clear my throat, “Why don’t you let the others know I’m coming?”
“Right. Sorry!” He touches the radio resting on his shoulder, "Dispatch, Riot has arrived. I'm sending her over."
I wait for confirmation before continuing towards the bank. A parade of squad cars surrounds the massive twenty story building. A detective runs up to me as I approach the steps. He stops when I hold my hand up. The armored fist is the size of his head. "I already know the situation. Just sit tight, I need to teach him a harder lesson this time."
"Be careful, we don't know what booby traps he's set up. We heard shots fired before the hostages ran out."
I can’t resist being corny in that moment. I slowly turn my head to reveal a smirk. “Bullets aren’t my problem.”
Approaching the glass doors, I pull my arm back before driving my right fist through them. Shards explode and scatter across the tile floor. I step inside and the glass crushes under my boots. My head turns slowly from left to right as I take in the sight of a deserted lobby.
"Okay Engineer. I have better shit to do than play around. Why don't you save us all some time and surrender?"
My hands clench tighter once I hear a speaker system come on. "I've been waiting for you again Riot." his monotone voice is so deep it makes the speakers give off feedback. "You're right. Let's get down to business, I'm waiting by the vault on the other side of the bank."
"Smart man. I’d advise you to have your hands up by the time I get there. I'd hate to have to smash your toys after you worked so hard on them.
I hear the speaker cut off and roll my eyes, he’s so damn serious. I walk past the teller desk and through the metal detectors.  My upbeat mood is soured when I pass through a doorway and see two security guards lying face down on the ground. I clench my jaw, slowing the pace of my walk as I round the corner and see a massive round steel door slightly open. A sliver of fluorescent light spills out.
My left forearm shields my face as I approach the door, using my right to grab the handle and pull it wide open. My pulse rises as I step into the vault shouting, "Hands up Engineer!"
The interior of the 500 square foot roomis lined with metal lockboxes. Standing in the center of it all, a White bald male in his 50s. The red in his beard has started to turn gray. He wears brown khakis and a green plaid button up. Thick bifocal glasses magnify the hate in his dark brown eyes.
"Ms. Riot." His graveled tone is devoid of any warmth in his greeting. "How’ve you been?"
"I guess I didn't hit you hard enough last time." I see a black remote in his hand. His thumb rests on a red button. "Drop the device and you get to keep your teeth."
His body shakes and I see a vein on his forehead. He holds both hands in the air as if to comply, then his thumb pushes the button. "Oops."
I hear a rumble from outside, followed by a humming sound encompassing the entire vault. My eyes shift to the floor, then the ceiling. I hear metal tapping and I hold my hands up to protect my face. It’s not gunfire, it’s the rattling of coins bouncing inside their metal lock boxes. I can’t move my legs, but I notice my feet sliding toward the wall. “Shit.”
I try to lower my arms, but they won’t budge. My breathing gets heavier as I square my hips, trying to put weight into my heels. My triceps and shoulders burn as I try resisting the force pulling me away.
"What's the matter Riot? Is my magnet too much for you?" the Engineer stands next to me with his hands held behind his back.
My head dips ever so slightly, and then I curse when my helmet rips off my head, the red tint replaced with the natural colors of the room. I hear the thud of my helmet sticking to the wall. My pony tail falls loose.
"Mmm, you're a pretty one." The Engineer leans closer. His smile reveals a row of yellow teeth. "What's your name?"
"Fuck you!" I swing my right arm at him, only to lose balance as my right gauntlet rips off my fingers. Before I can save it, the other gauntlet sails towards the wall. With my weapons gone, I stare at my trembling arms. Unlike the bulging shape of my gauntlets, they lack any muscle tone, looking like rubber pencils in comparison. 
I’m snapped out of my trance when a high pitched squeal echoes in the vault. I look down and see the bolts around my chestplate shaking loose. A lump in my throat forms as I try not to wince in front of my enemy. I look back and reach for the doorway. I’m able to grab onto the edge with both hands. Turning my body is a mistake as my feet lift off the ground. I scream, looking down to see metal bolts shoot across the room. The chest and back piece split apart and collide into the wall,
I feel a breeze against my midriff and I kick my legs. "Stop it!" I shout in my natural voice, too panicked to hold onto my bravado. The tank top I wear might as well be a bra with how small it is.
           "Sorry, the remote is fried. Forgot the magnet was going to ruin the hardware." The Engineer dangles the remote before dropping it. "I hope you wore something under there."

No comments:

Post a Comment